Friday, January 9, 2009

My mailbox runneth over and it's Carol's fault

Mail. I hate mail! I end up with tall piles of it stacked on my counter top because I avoid going through it. After all, how many Capitol One credit card applications can a person get? Rie's mom, Carol, gave me a brilliant piece of advice to keep it under control. "Only touch the mail once," she said. Great idea the first week or so. I brought the mail in every couple of days, opened it, sorted it, trashed it, shredded it, and filed it. Wow, that worked well ... until I didn't want to do it one day. One day ran into another day, etc. Enough time had passed that the thought of going through the mail only once was overwhelming. I knew there would be a ton of it and I was dreading bringing it into the house. So, I left it in the box for another day, and another, and another.
Finally, I planned my strategy. I would go straight home after work, get the mail out of the box, and not even turn on the television until every flyer and envelope had been dealt with. But upon opening my box, instead of finding the huge stack of mail I knew would be waiting for me, I only found one single slip of paper. It seems that my mail had become so out of control that it wouldn't even fit in my apparently not big-enough box any longer. That little slip of paper was directing me to pick it up at the main post office....you know, the one on PEGASUS! You can bet, I now make sure I empty my mailbox every few days. I may dread it, but that long trip out to timbuktu keeps me on my toes. I now retrieve it, toss it on the counter and I try to walk away. But that darn Carol's voice comes haunting me again,"Touch it only once." "Touch it only once."

It's pretty bad when it takes a postal box to get it home.



Honestly, was anything in this box of mail more important than McDreamy on the People magazine?

6 comments:

Beth Lee said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

omigosh that is hilarious.

i was wondering why there weren't any new people in your bathroom=)

and you must be turning into a full fledged blogger if you ACTUALLY took a picture of all of it. I'm so proud. ha=) love you

The Dodson 5 said...

Hilarious!!!! Mine sits in the passenger floorboard of my car until it starts falling out. It was great to see you "stopped" by our blog!!!
Love ya Kristi

bandofbrothers said...

ha, you kill me! too funny,

Sara said...

As bad as I am, I have NEVER had to go get my mail from the post office!! That's bad!

Amy said...

This is hilarious! I am lucky enough to have my mail slot in the door. I would probably have a pile stack up there if it weren't for my husband who can barely come in and say hello before he goes to look through it. Unfortunately, it then ends up on the dining table until there is no more table in sight. I really need to adopt the "touch it once" strategy...I just would rather not deal with it at all!

Momma D said...

Too Funny! I hate dealing with the mail too.

But, just like Carol, I try to only handle my mail once as well. I bring it in, slice it all open, pull it out and toss it in the trash or the shred box or lay it open on the desk.

When I'm done with everything I date stamp the stuff I'm keeping and then deal with it by entering it into the computer and then filing it in the "To Pay" file for payment later.

Admitedly if it isn't a bill it usually lays around and becomes a pile unless its something easy for me to deal with.

Magazines go directly into the bathroom and sales catalogs like pottery barn go on the computer tower for my moments when I have more then 5 minutes to enjoy them.

I have gone 2 or 3 days without checking it but have never had to go to the post office to pick up my mail. I have been afraid that my crabby mail guy will leave me a key and stash all of the mail in one of the BIG mail cubbies in our community box but now that you've had to go to Pegasus I'll be sure to not let it get out of hand.